This blog is about crossing cultures, Christian ministry, music, Biblical studies, fatherhood, leading worship, books, movies, and stuff like that. It's generally NOT about electronic gadgets, politics, philosophy, sports, etc. Not that I necessarily have a problem with those things.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Welcome

Welcome. Wow, that really makes it sound like you're on my turf, which seems a little presumptuous considering the only thing I did to earn this blog was choose a url that was available. It took me several tries, actually.

Speaking of being on someone else's turf, that's what the name of this blog means: extranjero. I'm an American living in Mexico, though I don't typically refer to myself as an American, since that apparently offends everyone north and south of the border, as if I'm implying that the only nation in the Americas is the USA. I have no agenda to imply that, and given the fact that I am on their turf, I'll happily oblige to call myself something else. I'm told I should say norteamericano ("North American", which in my mind seems like it would be equally offensive) or estadounidense ("UnitedStatesian", if it translated to English).

Anyway, I've been here almost two years, working to build into Evangelical churches all over Mexico. I'm doing alright with the language, and I have lots of friends, but still most of the time I feel like a stranger. Given the circumstances, that doesn't worry me. I'm a cultural outsider, and you can still count on me saying several awkward Spanish phrases in any given conversation. Also, I'm quickly approaching 30 years old, so when I hang out with the youth I'm very conspicuously the old guy.

This text simultaneously comforts and challenges me:
Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they'll be won over to God's side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives. 1 Peter 4:11-12 (The Message)